A career in fashion photography attracts many people since it encompasses a highly glamorous lifestyle as well as promises heavy paychecks.
Fashion Photography has long been one of the most appealing fields of photography. Many young photographers immediately after their studies want to break into the world of fashion photography and I understand why. As a fashion photographer, you get to photograph some of the most desired and influential top models in the fashion industry and even insanely popular celebrities.
All this is very alluring but just being able to handle the camera is not enough to be a well renowned and an accomplished fashion photographer.
What fashion photography truly is
A fashion photographer is somewhat an artist; because the job entails a lot of significant factors that should be mastered by every good photographer.
Some of the most important factors are:
- Having a keen eye for detail.
- A dedication to work under harsh environmental conditions and be able to cope with other interference that may occur when working.
- being able to convert something simple to something incredibly magnificent.
- you must be able to build an instant rapport with the models and bring the right expression out of them.
- you should have a vast knowledge of working with the lighting and assisting the crew in setting up the background and checking up on the make-up flaws if any.
- Basically, a good fashion photographer needs to have a good taste in fashion and haute couture and must be up-to-date with the latest trends and styles.
A fashion photographer is not just expected to capture state-of-the-art photographs but is also responsible for being able to sell those photographs to the fashion editor of a fashion magazine.