A career in fashion photography attracts many people since it encompasses a highly glamorous lifestyle as well as promises heavy paychecks.
Fashion Photography has long been one of the most appealing fields of photography. Many young photographers immediately after their studies want to break into the world of fashion photography and I understand why. As a fashion photographer, you get to photograph some of the most desired and influential top models in the fashion industry and even insanely popular celebrities.
All this is very alluring but just being able to handle the camera is not enough to be a well renowned and an accomplished fashion photographer.
What fashion photography truly is
A fashion photographer is somewhat an artist; because the job entails a lot of significant factors that should be mastered by every good photographer.
Some of the most important factors are:
- Having a keen eye for detail.
- A dedication to work under harsh environmental conditions and be able to cope with other interference that may occur when working.
- being able to convert something simple to something incredibly magnificent.
- you must be able to build an instant rapport with the models and bring the right expression out of them.
- you should have a vast knowledge of working with the lighting and assisting the crew in setting up the background and checking up on the make-up flaws if any.
- Basically, a good fashion photographer needs to have a good taste in fashion and haute couture and must be up-to-date with the latest trends and styles.
A fashion photographer is not just expected to capture state-of-the-art photographs but is also responsible for being able to sell those photographs to the fashion editor of a fashion magazine.
There are many wannabe fashion photographers out there who try their luck at this and thus the competition is fierce.
You should be able to sell a pose, a face or even an emotion. It is imperative that you get the right emotion out of your model and to do so you must ensure that they find working with you comfortable enough. Their comfort level reflects in the photography and finally, it is you who reap the benefits out of it.
It takes hard work and a whole lot of patience to be a successful fashion photographer. But once you find success there is no looking back provided you maintain that passion and translate it into your top notch fashion photography. You need to have high organizational and coordination skills to work in different environments with different models and sometimes animals may be involved in this too. You may have to build certain special effects with a combination of cameras, films, lenses, filters and lighting to produce results that bear maximum resemblance to the picture you had in mind. You must also ace the positioning of the cameras. Positioning brings about drastic changes in the way an object or a person is portrayed. There are certain angles in which shooting produces best results thus giving you an edge above the others.